For fun, and to spread awareness about an amazing (and fun!) workout, I present you with a list of reasons why Zumba is the greatest workout ever:
- You learn cool dances like the Mambo, Salsa and Cha-Cha, so your workout feels more like you're on the set of Dirty Dancing than in a gym burning calories.
- The music is fun and exciting, and it energizes you to get through the sometimes challenging routines.
- Your core muscles are engaged the entire time, since your hips and midsection are constant moving to the Latin beat.
- The workout goes fast, unlike time spent on the elliptical (which drags on forever, at least for me.)
- No two classes are exactly the same; the instructors are always thinking up new routines to keep the workout fresh and your muscles from adjusting to one constant routine.
- You can make an ass out of yourself and fit right in with the other people who are doing exactly the same thing as you--prior knowledge of dance is not required.
- The people (mostly women, but I've seen some men as well) are upbeat, laughing, and having a good time. No competition--just a group of people coming together to workout and have fun.
- Dancing is fun. You definitely realize the joys of movement and how amazing it is that the body can dance, jump, stretch, turn, etc.
- Someone told me the average person burns 500-750 calories in a single class. I think this is probably untrue, but I leave each class a sweaty mess, so I know I've done my body a lot of good in one hour.
- I can't explain why, and this is going to sound really disgusting, but I love the way the skin on my arms, neck and face looks when it's glowing with sweat. Maybe it's because I know I'm working hard? Maybe because I'm releasing toxins as I sweat? Who knows, but I take pride in walking out of each class drenched. I'm a weirdo, I know.
- It doesn't feel like exercise, but it is--and good exercise, at that.
I haven't written much about the GOOD things that have happened this summer (I save most of it for my other blog) but Zumba--and my weight lifting routine--are definitely two highlights.
Gain or lose, my body is responding so beautifully to this exercise.