Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I just got home from the most amazing walk ever. Just me, my iPod, some water, and 3+ miles of pavement. And the disgustingly humid STL summertime air, of course.

My new walking routine is HARD. It starts off easy, mostly flat and on sidewalks. Then it comes to a point where the sidewalks disappear due to construction, leaving me to either walk in the middle of the street or on the grassy, muddy areas next to where the sidewalks would be. To avoid potential death, I chose the grassy side. Then the hills begin--about 1 mile of going mostly uphill, with a few breaks for relief. Then, to complete the 3 miles, I have to walk past my house--just a little--but enough to leave me looking back longingly for my air-conditioned, vegetable-filled oasis.

I walked in the door this afternoon feeling so empowered and amazing. As I was walking, I thought back to last year, when the almost 2 flat miles seemed like the perfect and appropriate workout. Now, 40 pounds lighter, I return home knowing THIS walk is so much better for where I am now, and proud of myself for getting to this point. AND--knowing I could go further if I wanted to.

And I will, when I'm ready.

I'm excited to start working again, mostly so I can see if this same feeling rings true in the gym as well (my job comes with a free gym membership.)

I still sometimes have moments where I'm shocked at where I really am. Even now, 110 pounds thinner than I was when I began almost 2 years ago, I can't believe this lifestyle I'm living. There is a part of me that doesn't believe I am exercising daily and making food choices based on amounts of fiber and protein and nutrients (and ENJOYING it!) That said, it's hard to imagine life any other way. I don't even remember the times when I ate fast-food almost daily and would spend countless hours sitting on the couch. It's incredibly confusing, knowing that the person I was then is not the person I am now while simultaneously not believing this lifestyle I am actually leading. Is that even clear? Sigh.

For now, this is just a blip on my journey to who I am and where I'm going. The trip is kinda fun, actually...

No comments: