Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008, Hello 2009

I can't believe 2008 is almost over. Looking back, it amazes me how much things have changed and how little is the same as it was last year. I've lived in 3 cities this year, and in every city my life has changed and evolved into what it is now. Jerusalem taught me about being healthy and active; St Louis taught me how to maintain and sustain a healthy lifestyle; New York City has taught me how to survive on my own in a crazy place full of too many crazy people.

So much has happened, so much has changed. In many respects, 2008 was the year I came alive (which I find somewhat ironic, seeing as though I am sitting here alone on New Year's Eve doing absolutely nothing--please don't remind me of how pathetic I am, I am well aware of it.) I learned all about health and life and living to my very best abilities. I learned about commitment and sustenance and opening myself up to new possibilities. I entered myself into the dating scene, and while it has yet to be successful, it's a big step for me. I found confidence and strength within myself; confidence and strength that had always been there even though I was blind to them. I opened myself to Hope and Love, to positivity and prayer, to breath and calm. I created a life that I love, contained in a body that I'm learning to love, wrapped in a soul filled with beauty and love.

For all the crap that happened in 2008, it's been a pretty great year.
And I made that happen for myself.

I don't like the idea of New Year's Resolutions, as I'd rather set attainable goals for myself and allow myself to change them as I see fit. So as we welcome in 2009, I set the following goals for myself:

1. To go to the gym a few times a week, and work with a trainer a couple of times to figure out how to best strengthen my body and spirit (Dave, could I tempt you to fly to NY on a weekly basis? :))
2. To continue eating healthfully, trying new fruits and veggies and learning new and exciting ways of preparing healthy food.
3. To keep dating, be it J-Date or other more conventional methods.
4. To continue my quest to love my body, and to learn to see myself the way others see me.
5. To think positively, to pray everyday, to find the beauty in everyone and everything.
6. To thank God everyday for the miracles of life, breath, song and spirit.

We'll see what gets added on to this list as the year progresses.

Finally, to all of you who read this, thank you for your constant support and love. You make such a difference in my life and in my ability to rid myself of this "heavy stuff" that's plagued me throughout my life. May your 2009 be filled with light, spirit, love, joy, friendship, and much happiness.

1 comment:

Gal said...

We don't come alive because of or for other people, but rather in and of ourselves. That you have definitely done, and continue to do. New Year's Eve is highly overrated, and we are way too attached to being defined by our social lives. What matters is how you feel going into the new year, and also a recognition that it's just another date on the Gregorian calendar. I think you're wonderful, I deeply appreciate you, and I'm proud of you, Tracy!